A. Emotions Overview
1. Emotions are a critical factor in employee behavior
2. The myth of rationality
3. Belief that emotions of any kind were disruptive.
B. What Are Emotions?
1. Effect is a generic term covering a broad range of feelings; encompasses both emotions and moods.
C. Emotional Labor
1. When an employee expresses organizationally desired emotions during interpersonal
a. Emotional dissonance
D. Felt Vs. Displayed Emotions
1. Felt and displayed motions are often different. Role demands may require people to exhibit
emotional behaviors that mask their true feelings.
E. Emotion Dimensions
3. Frequency and Duration
F. Gender And Emotions
1. Assumed that women are more in touch with feelings
2. Evidence confirms differences between men and women in certain respects
G. External Constraints On Emotions
1. Organizational influence
2. Cultural influence
H. Affective Events Theory (AET)
1. Emotions are part of how people behave; provide valuable insights in understanding employee behavior.
I. OB Applications
1. Ability & Selection
a. Emotional Intelligence (EI)
f. Social skills
2. Decision Making
5. Interpersonal Conflict
6. Customer Service
7. Deviant workplace behaviors
d. personal aggression